Stay and Residence Permits

Moving to San Marino


Foreigners wishing to move to San Marino must apply for the necessary documents to regularise their stay in the territory.

San Marino does not grant entry visas (for nationals of non-EU countries not belonging to the Schengen area), but provides for two types of documents, to be obtained in case of stay in the territory for a period longer than 30 days: STAY and RESIDENCE PERMITS.



Stay permits are temporary permits, to regularize stays from 3 months to one year. Stay permits have a maximum validity period of 12 months and can be renewed at the request of the holder.

Stay permits may be granted for tourism, work, family reunification (spouse and children) or cohabitation. Moreover, special stay permits may be granted for the following reasons: education, sport, medical treatment, health assistance, rehabilitation and rest, religion, humanitarian reasons, international volunteering, working holiday schemes.

For information:



Residence permits are granted for long-term stays in the territory. The types of residence permits that may be applied for are the following:

  • Registered residence permits: for foreign nationals seeking family reunification with a San Marino citizen, establishing a business in San Marino and holding management positions in institutes and companies of San Marino.
  • Elective residence permits: for foreign nationals wishing to establish their residence in San Marino, who make and maintain a property or financial investment, according to the rules set by law. Foreign applicants must hold a health insurance policy, cannot work for the overall public sector nor benefit from State contributions. After 10 years, elective residence change into registered residence permits, with all relevant rights.

For information:



To enter and stay in San Marino, non-EU nationals must cross the Schengen area.

Nationals of non-Schengen countries must be in possession of the relevant authorisations to entry and transit in the Schengen area, to be applied for before entering San Marino. For more information on the application modalities, applicants may contact the Italian Embassy or Consulate at their place of residence.

For assistance with the procedures and documentation to be submitted:


Norms and regulations (Italian language only)



Republic of San Marino

Palazzo Begni, Contrada Omerelli n. 31 - 47890 San Marino -
T +378 (0549) 882 302
F +378 (0549) 882 814