The Directorate of European Affairs manages relations and negotiation processes with the European Union, on the basis of instructions from the Minister of Foreign Affairs, first of all the negotiations of one or more Association Agreements between the Republic of San Marino and the European Union.
It supervises and manages the negotiation activity, in cooperation with San Marino Permanent Mission in Brussels, by coordinating the activity carried out by San Marino Public Administration.
It takes part in negotiation sessions, prepares the necessary documents and proposes appropriate negotiation indications to the Minister of Foreign Affairs.
It supports the Minister of Foreign Affairs in the subsequent activity of reporting to the Congress of State, the Great and General Council, the Permanent Parliamentary Commission for Foreign Affairs, social partners, professional associations and the population.
It prepares and takes part in exploratory and fact-finding missions to the corresponding sections of the Foreign Ministries of EU countries, in order to establish cooperation and exchange information on European integration issues.
It manages the Cooperation and Customs Union Agreement and, with respect to issues falling within its competence, it assists the Directorate of Economic Affairs in the management of the Monetary Agreement, including by participating in the periodic meetings of the relevant Joint Committee.
- It performs coordinating functions in the study of the acquis communautaire of the European Union;
- It prepares acts and documents to support the work of the competent Institutions;
- It draws up legislative proposals for the transposition of the acquis communautaire into national law;
- It coordinates the organisation of technical assistance seminars proposed by the European Commission within the TAIEX (Technical Assistance and Information Exchange Instrument) Service and requested by San Marino Administration;
- It prepares and organises specific seminars, following the Minister’s instructions;
- Whenever consulted, it instructs Administration sectors on matters relating to its own activities when they need to carry out in-depth studies with their counterparts in foreign countries;
- With respect to issues falling within its competence, it prepares political and technical visits with respect to content and achievement of the Government's objectives.
- With respect to issues falling within its competence, it supports the activities of the working groups set up by the Congress of State;
- For the purposes of the ongoing negotiations with the EU, it consults and verifies European institutional websites that deal with the political, legislative, case-law and dissemination activities (publications, reports and press releases) of the European Union (European Commission, Council of the EU, Official Journal, Court of Justice of the European Union);
- With respect to issues falling within its competence, it assists the Directorate of Economic Affairs in supporting San Marino companies;
- It provides collaboration and support to university students in subjects related to the European Union and to the relations between San Marino and the EU, also through training internships;
- With respect to issues falling within its competence, it collaborates with the Research Centre for International Relations (CRRI) of the University of San Marino.
Director: Luca Brandi, Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary - email@example.com
Giovanni Luca Ghiotti, Counsellor - firstname.lastname@example.org
Elisabetta Bucci, Counsellor - email@example.com
Lino Zonzini, First Secretary - firstname.lastname@example.org
Giulia Santi, First Secretary - email@example.com
Paola Ghiotti, Legal Expert - firstname.lastname@example.org
Luca Ghinelli, Legal Expert - email@example.com
Contacts: +378 (0549) 882158 - 885185 - 882976